Sunday, January 15, 2006

A week in the life of my boiler

It's been pretty mild the last week... typically 10 degrees during the day, and still around 5 at night, so not yet the bitter winter people predicted.

Just under a week ago (9:50 in the evening), my gas meter read 7011.229 cu mtrs. Now, at 2pm the following Sunday, it's 7041.039. With a little rounding, we can probably call this 30 cu mtrs for the week.

Looking back on last weeks calculations, I can find out what I'm producing in CO2 emissions for a mild winter week. The figure I came up with last week (please someone, feel free to give more accurate figures) was one tonne of CO2 for every 500 cu mtrs of gas. So each cu mtr produces 2kg of CO2. So this week it was 60kg. If this was the case for the whole year, that'd be 3 tonnes of CO2 per year (rather than the 1.62 tonnes I calculated last week).

Mmm... time to find a way of cutting this down. How about reviewing my current thermostat settings... perhaps I'm putting the heating on far too early in the morning... I'll make some changes and see how things are next week.

No comments: