Sunday, January 08, 2006

So what are the facts about my current heating?

So, what is the current CO2 balance sheet for the heating in my house?

According to what I can decifer from my latest gas bill, and my monthly £22 charge, I use 800 cu metres per year.

The calculator at the EPA Global Warming Resource Centre wants this in cubic feet per month, so lets see:
One cubic metre is 3.33 * 3.33 * 3.33 = 37 cubic feet, so my usage is 29600 per year... let's call it 30,000 cubic feet, which gives us 2500 per month.

At the EPA average price of $6.51, that equates to $16.28 per month (that's less than half what I pay.. which works out at $39 per month! No wonder you in the US use more, you pay half!)

Back to the subject... plug $16.28 into the EPA calculator and it tells me my house produces 3,557 pounds of CO2 (against their two person household average of 11,000).

Now to get to tonnes... a kilo is 2.2 pounds, so a tonne is 2200.

So the final figure is that my 800 cu metres of natural gas used to heat my house causes 1.62 tonnes of CO2 per year!

So, for those of us in the UK that's one tonne for every 500 cubic metres!

Mmm... as my gas meter reads in cubic metres, I'll take a look at the reading, and see how I'm doing in mid winter... okay.. at 9:50, its 7011.229 cu mtrs. Let's see what the score is in a few days.

1 comment:

Neale said...

Thanks for the enquiry Krammer.

My heating system is not furnace based, but is a gas fired condensing combination boiler.

From what I know of filters in other applications (such as car filters for car engines), then yes, the type of filter can affect performance. My advice though is to go only with the filters recommended by your furnace manufacturer, especially if it is under warranty.